If you have foreign mortgage interest to enter in the program for which you did not receive a Form 1098, follow these steps to enter the information in your TaxAct® program:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions to expand the category and then click Interest Expenses
- Click No and then click No again to reach the screen Itemized Deductions - Mortgage Interest Paid
Enter the information in the following manner:
- Name: The name of the individual or financial institution you paid the mortgage interest to
- Address: Street Address
- City: City, Province/Country & Postal Code (you may need to abbreviate when entering a foreign address as this field is limited to 20 characters)
- Both the State and ZIP fields would be left blank (the State field may reflect None Selected)
Enter the information in the last 3 fields on this screen as appropriate for the situation. Note:
Whether you can claim the mortgage interest paid on a foreign loan for a foreign home is a question of tax law.
You would need to contact the IRS (1-800-829-1040), as this is not clearly defined in their instructions.