Married Filing Separate - Itemized or Standard Deduction Checked in Error

If you're filing Married Filing Separate and one taxpayer itemizes, both must itemize. If you indicated that the spouse itemizes in error, you must go back and uncheck that box.

To uncheck Check box if your spouse itemizes deductions:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. Click Basic Information in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Filing status.
  3. Click Married filing separately, then click Continue.
  4. Click Basic Info on the left, click the Spouse tab, uncheck/clear My spouse itemized deductions on their separate return, then continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
  5. Repeat step 2, then change the filing status as needed.