If you are filing Married Filing Separate and one taxpayer itemizes, both must itemize. If you indicated that the spouse itemizes in error, you must go back and uncheck that box.
To uncheck the Check box if your spouse itemizes deductions
- From within your TaxACT return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal Q&A tab
- Click Basic Information to expand the category and then click Filing Status
- Select Married filing separately (temporarily, if you intend to use a different filing status) and click Continue until you reach the screen titled Spouse Itemizes
- Uncheck the box titled Check box if your spouse itemizes deductions
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to select the correct filing status, if necessary