Form W-2 - Moving Expense Reimbursements

Beginning in 2018, the moving expense deduction is temporarily suspended, unless you are a member of the Armed Forces on active duty and, due to a military order, you move because of a permanent change of station.

An amount with code "P" will transfer to Line 4 of Form 3903 Moving Expenses for moving expenses. Form 3903 can be completed for the amount of moving expenses paid by the taxpayer. If a moving expense deduction is computed, it will be reported on Schedule 1 (Form 1040) Additional Income and Adjustments to Income, on Line 14.

To enter the Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement Box 12 amount (if you need help reporting your Form W-2 in the TaxAct program, go to our Form W-2 - Entering in Program FAQ):

  1. From within your Form W-2, click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. On the screen titled W-2: Enter Taxpayer's/Spouse's information, select "P-Excludable moving expense reimbursements" from the Box 12 - Letter code drop-down, enter the amount reported to you in Box 12 - Amount, then click Continue.

To enter moving expenses for Form 3903, go to our Moving Expenses FAQ.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.