If you have an amount reported in box 12 of your W-2 (Code W) for employer contributions to your health savings account (including contributions through a cafeteria plan), then you will need to complete IRS Form 8889 Health Savings Account.
To enter the W-2 box 12 amount:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Wages and Salaries in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category, then click Wage income reported on Form W-2
- Click New Copy of Form W-2 (Desktop users click Add) to create a new version of the form, or click Review to review a copy already created. If you choose to use Quick Entry, select code W for box 12 and enter the amount. If you choose to use Step-by-Step Guidance, follow steps 4 and 5 below.
- Continue to the screen titled W-2 odds and ends with fields for boxes 12 and 13
- Select W - Employer contributions to your Health Savings Account for the code and enter the amount reported to you in box 12
To enter the additional information for a health savings account for yourself and/or your spouse in the TaxAct program:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click on Health Savings Accounts (HSA) in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category, then click All HSA topics
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information. The amount from box 12 of Form W-2 will appear on the screen titled Health Savings Accounts - Contributions.