Forms 8615 or 8814 - Which Form Do I Need?

If you are completing the parents' return, DO NOT enter the information for Form 8615 (Tax on Child's Investment Income) but DO complete Form 8814 (Child's Interest and Dividend Income on Your Return).

To enter information for either of these forms:

  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
  2. Click Taxes in the middle of the screen to expand the category (scroll down if necessary)
    • For the child's return (Form 8615), click Tax on child's unearned income.
    • For the parents' return (Form 8814), click Child's interest and dividend income on your return.
  3. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information
Per the IRS instructions, the following notes appear at the top of printed versions of these forms:
  • "Attach to parents' Form 1040 or Form 1040NR" (IRS Form 8814 Parents' Election to Report Child's Interest and Dividends)
  • "Attach to [the child's] Form 1040 or Form 1040NR" (IRS Form 8615 Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income)