Search Help Topics:


If you filed a tax return with a spouse who died in 2019 and you want to change the name of the taxpayer on the refund check, you must file Form 1310 Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer. This form can be e-filed with the return.

To access Form 1310:

  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
  2. Click Miscellaneous Topics in the middle of the screen to expand the category and then click Claim for refund due a deceased person
  3. Click +Add Form 1310 to create a new copy of the form or click Review to review a form already created 
  4. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information
  5. On the screen titled Form 1310 - Qualifications, select A - Surviving spouse requesting reissuance of a refund check

If you checked the box on Line A, you can return the joint-name check with Form 1310 to your local IRS office or the Internal Revenue Service Center where you filed your return. If you checked B or C:

  • Follow the instructions for the form to which you are attaching Form 1310, or
  • Send it to the same Internal Revenue Service Center where the original return was filed if you are filing Form 1310 separately. If the original return was filed electronically, mail Form 1310 to the Internal Revenue Service Center designated for the address shown on Form 1310 above. See the instructions for the original return for the address.

Was this helpful to you?