Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage Plans) is another way to get your Medicare benefits. It combines Part A, Part B, and sometimes Part D (prescription drug) coverage. Medicare Advantage Plans are managed by private insurance companies approved by Medicare. These plans must cover medically-necessary services.
Medicare C is reported on Form 1099-SA Distributions from a HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA
. The amount included in income is the amount not used to pay medical expenses. Generally, if you receive a taxable distribution, you must also pay an additional tax on the amount included in income. The additional tax for Medicare Advantage MSAs is 50%.
To enter or review information from Form 1099-SA:
- From within your TaxACT return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal Q&A tab
- Click Other Income to expand the category and then click HSA and MSA Distributions (Form 1099-SA)
- Click Add to create a new copy of the form or click Review to review a form already created
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information
From Who can get Medicare?:Medicare Advantage plans (Part C)
If you have Medicare Parts A and B, you can join a Medicare Advantage plan. Medicare Advantage plans are offered by private companies and approved by Medicare. With one of these plans, you do not need a Medigap policy, because Medicare Advantage plans generally cover many of the same benefits that a Medigap policy would cover, such as extra days in the hospital after you have used the number of days that Medicare covers.
Medicare Advantage plans include:
- Medicare managed care plans;
- Medicare preferred provider organization (PPO) plans;
- Medicare private fee-for-service plans; and
- Medicare specialty plans.
If you decide to join a Medicare Advantage plan, you use the health card that you get from your Medicare Advantage plan provider for your health care. Also, you might have to pay a monthly premium for your Medicare Advantage plan because of the extra benefits it offers.