Form 1099-R - 401(k) Distributions

You'll receive a Form 1099-R Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. from the payer of your 401(k) distribution. A copy of that form is also sent to the IRS.

To report the 401(k) distribution in your TaxAct return:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal (on smaller devices, click in the top left corner of your screen, then click Federal).
  2. Click the Retirement Plan Income dropdown, then click IRA, 401(k), and pension plan distributions (Form 1099-R).
  3. Click + Add Form 1099-R to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to edit a form already created (desktop program: click Review instead of Edit).
  4. Click Step-by-Step Guidance to continue with the interview process and enter your information.

For additional information, go to IRS Publication 575 Pension and Annuity Income.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.