To enter federal and/or state withholding amounts reported to you on Form 1099-MISC, use the Q&A for Form 1099-MISC, Box 3. This will transfer the federal/state withholding to the appropriate line(s) of the returns. The actual Form 1099-MISC is not electronically filed with the return, only the information that it contains.
As instructed below, only the withholding entries are completed for the form and no amount would actually be entered for Box 3.
To enter or review the information for Form 1099-MISC, Box 4 or 16:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Form 1099-MISC
- Click New Copy of Form 1099-MISC (Desktop users click Add) to create a new Form 1099-MISC
- Click Form 1099-MISC Quick Entry to open the Quick Entry window
- Enter all of the applicable information from your Form 1099-MISC, including information for Boxes 4 and/or 16
- Close the Quick Entry window
- On the screen titled What type of income was reported on this Form 1099-MISC?, make the appropriate selection
- If you selected Other non-business income on the previous screen, check the box to confirm that the income is non-business income and is not subject to self-employment taxes
Note: If you have multiple amounts to enter you would combine them into one entry (one entry for the federal withheld amounts and one for the state withheld amounts).