To enter federal and/or state withholding amounts reported to you on Form 1099-MISC, use the Q&A for Form 1099-MISC, Box 3. This will transfer the federal/state withholding to the appropriate line(s) of the returns. The actual Form 1099-MISC is not electronically filed with the return, only the information that it contains. As instructed below, only the withholding entries are completed for the form and no amount would actually be entered for Box 3.
To enter or review the information for Form 1099-MISC, Box 4 or 16:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Form 1099-MISC to expand the category and then click 3 - Other Income
- Select Form 1040 and click Continue
- On the screen titled Form 1099-MISC - Miscellaneous Income, enter the federal withheld amount in the field 4 - Federal income tax withheld
- Click Continue two times and enter the information for the state tax withheld (amount, state name, and state ID number)
Note: If you have multiple amounts to enter you would combine them into one entry (one entry for the federal withheld amounts and one for the state withheld amounts).