Employee Business Use of Home expenses are reported on Line 4 of IRS Form 2106 Employee Business Expenses
and on Line 21 of Schedule A as an itemized deduction.
To access the Q&A interview screens to enter your home office expenses:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions to expand the category, then click Unreimbursed employee expenses - Subject to 2% of AGI limit
- Click on Yes on the screen titled Itemized Deductions - Job or Miscellaneous Deductions
- Click on Yes on the screen titled Itemized Deductions – Deduct Form 2106 Expenses
- Continue to the screen titled Employee Expenses - Business Use of Your Home and click Yes
- The program will proceed with the interview questions.
TaxAct will use the higher of your itemized deductions or the standard deduction for your filing status in order to maximize the tax benefit to you. See Standard Deduction
for more information.