Earned Income Credit or Child/Dependent Care Credit - Child Not Dependent

If you have a qualifying child for the Earned Income Credit (EIC), but do not claim that child as a dependent, you can still claim them for the EIC:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. Click Basic Information in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Dependents and other qualifying persons.
  3. Click + Add a Dependent to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to review a form already created.
  4. Select "Nondependent qualifying child" from the Dependent Type drop-down, enter the number of months that child lived with you, then click Continue.

You can obtain additional information on the Earned Income Credit and who is a qualifying child in the IRS Instructions for Form 1040 and 1040-SR or IRS Publication 596 Earned Income Credit (EIC).

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.