Search Help Topics:

If you have a qualifying child for the Earned Income Credit (EIC), but do not claim that child as a dependent, you can still claim them for the EIC:

  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
  2. Click Basic Information to expand the category, and then click Dependents and other qualifying persons
  3. Click Add to create a new dependent entry or click Review to review a dependent already entered
  4. On the first screen, enter/review the dependent's information, then click Continue
  5. On the following screen, select Nondependent EIC Child from the Dependent Type drop-down menu and enter the number of months that child lived with you, then click Continue to save the changes.

You can obtain additional information on the Earned Income Credit and who is a qualifying child in the IRS Instructions for Form 1040 or IRS Publication 596.

Was this helpful to you?