Education Credits and Deductions - Dependent on Another Return

If you are claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return (such as your parent's), then your qualifying educational expenses can only be used on your parent's return. Your return would not qualify for the education credits or deduction because you are claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's return.

For additional information, please refer to IRS Publication 970 Tax Benefits for Education.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.