Search Help Topics:

If you are claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return (such as your parent's), then your qualifying educational expenses can only be used on your parent's return. Your return would not qualify for the education credits or deduction because your exemption is being taken on another taxpayer's return.

For additional information please refer to IRS Publication 970 Tax Benefits for Education.

Was this helpful to you?