Search Help Topics:


If you e-filed and chose to receive your refund via direct deposit, but have since realized you entered an incorrect bank routing number or account number, or the bank account has been closed, here’s what will happen:

  1. If the return is rejected, you can correct the information and then resubmit your return.
    • To correct the information:
      • Click Filing
      • Continue to the screen titled E-Filing - Federal Refund Options
      • Click Direct Deposit and enter the appropriate information on the screen titled E-Filing Direct Deposit Bank Information.
  2. If the return is accepted, the the IRS will send the refund to the bank and account specified. You can’t request a direct deposit to an account not in your name, so if the Social Security Number and last name of the account holder doesn’t match IRS records, the bank should reject the transaction. When that happens, the IRS will send your refund check to the address on the return.

To determine your refund status once your return is filed and accepted, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or 1-800-829-4477.

For more information regarding direct deposits please refer to IRS Instructions for Form 8888.

Related Links

Was this helpful to you?