Search Help Topics:


If you have submitted an e-file and elected for a direct deposit, but now know the information is no longer correct (i.e. entered the bank routing number or account number incorrectly or the bank account has been closed), one of two things will happen:

  1. If the return is rejected, you may correct the information within the return and then resubmit. To correct the information, click Filing and continue to the screen titled E-Filing - Federal Refund Options. Click Direct Deposit and enter the appropriate information on the screen titled E-Filing Direct Deposit Bank Information.
  2. If the return is accepted, the IRS will transmit the refund to the bank and account specified. According to the IRS, you cannot request a deposit of your refund to an account that is not in your name. If the SSN and last name of the account holder does not match the IRS records, the bank should reject the transaction. The IRS will then print out a check and send it to the address listed on the return. In most cases, this process happens fairly quickly.

To determine the status on your refund, once the return is filed and accepted, you will need to contact the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040 or 1-800-829-4477.

For more information regarding direct deposits please refer to IRS Instructions for Form 8888.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent IRS version of the document at the time it is accessed.

Related Links

Was this helpful to you?