Search Help Topics:


Do not enter a Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement for a dependent on your tax return. Your dependent can only enter the W-2 income on his or her own separate return.

It may not be necessary for the dependent to file a return, but it may be beneficial, especially if the dependent qualifies for a refund due to having taxes withheld from wages.

To determine if your child is required to file a tax return, you can refer to IRS Instructions for Forms 1040 and 1040-SR and review Chart B--For Children and Other Dependents, in the Filing Requirements section of the instructions.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?