Search Help Topics:

; ; ;
You would not enter a W-2 for a dependent on your tax return. Your dependent would enter the W-2 income on his or her own separate return.

While it may not be necessary for the dependent to file a separate return, it may be beneficial if the dependent had taxes withheld and would have a refund.

To determine if your child is required to file a tax return, you can refer to the IRS Instructions for Form 1040 and review Chart B For Children and Other Dependents, in the Filing Requirements section of the instructions.

Was this helpful to you?