Form SSA-1099 - Dependents

You should not enter a Form SSA-1099 for a dependent on your tax return. Your dependent should enter the SSA-1099 income on his or her own separate return. An example of Form SSA-1099 is available in IRS Publication 915 Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits, on page 20.

To determine if your child is required to file a tax return, you can refer to IRS Instructions for Forms 1040 and 1040-SR, Chart B on page 10 (For Children and Other Dependents, in the Filing Requirements section of the instructions).

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.