Search Help Topics:


You should not enter a Form SSA-1099 for a dependent on your tax return. Your dependent should enter the SSA-1099 income on his or her own separate return.

While it may not be necessary for the dependent to file a separate return, it may be beneficial if the dependent had taxes withheld and would have a refund.

To determine if your child is required to file a tax return, you can refer to the IRS Instructions for Form 1040, Chart B on page 10 (For Children and Other Dependents, in the Filing Requirements section of the instructions).

Was this helpful to you?