Search Help Topics:

If you need to remove the spouse exemption on your return:
  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
  2. Click Basic Information to expand the category, then click Name and Address
  3. Continue to the screen titled Spouse
  4. TEMPORARILY enter a dummy social security number of 899-99-9999 and click Continue
  5. Again click on the Federal tab
  6. Click Basic Information to expand the category, then click Filing Status
  7. Select Head of Household or Married Filing Separately
  8. Continue to the screen titled Spouse Exemption to remove the exemption from the return. Note: if you come to the screen titled Change Filing Status, click No to bypass this screen
  9. Repeat steps 2 through 4 above to return to the screen titled Spouse and remove the dummy social security number. Highlight the number and hit the Delete key, then click Continue 

Was this helpful to you?