Dependents - ATIN Not Received for Adopted Child

If you list a child in the process of being adopted as a dependent on your tax return, you need to provide a valid Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) in order to file. If you have not received the ATIN for your child yet, there are two options:

  • File for an extension with Form 4868 Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return , and file your tax return once you receive the ATIN.
  • Remove the child from the return and file now, and file an amended return that includes the child once you receive the ATIN.

Related Links

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.