Dependents - Child Born and Died with No SSN

Whether your child was born alive depends on state or local law. There must be proof of a live birth shown by an official document, such as a birth certificate.

If you do not have a social security number (SSN) for the child, you may attach applicable documentation and enter "DIED" as the SSN. If you would like to e-file your return, TaxAct® will prompt you to attach a PDF of the birth certificate, death certificate, or hospital records as documentation. Alternatively, you can paper file your return along with paper copies of the documents.

When entering the dependent information in the program, you will need to enter "12" for the number of months your child lived with you. This will allow the program to accurately calculate the proper credits for your tax return.