Search Help Topics:


To enter the death of a taxpayer or spouse in the TaxAct® program, go to our Death of Taxpayer During Tax Year FAQ.

If both the taxpayer and spouse are entered as deceased, the TaxAct program will show the name and date of death for both at the top of the federal return. The representative should promptly notify all payers of income, including financial institutions, of the taxpayer's death. This will ensure the proper reporting of income earned by the taxpayer's estate or heirs. A deceased taxpayer’s social security number should not be used for tax years after the year of death, except for estate tax return purposes.

Generally, a person who is filing a return for a decedent and claiming a refund must file Form 1310 Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer with the return. If you are a court-appointed representative, you must paper file the return in order to attach a copy of the certificate that shows your appointment.

To access Form 1310 in the TaxAct program, go to our Form 1310 - Refund Deceased Taxpayer FAQ.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?