Child Tax Credit - Dependent Social Security Number Required

TaxAct® requests a valid Social Security Number (SSN) be entered in order for certain credits and deductions to calculate (i.e. child tax credit, other dependent credit, etc.).

If you have applied for and are currently waiting to receive the child's new SSN, you may either:

  • Electronically file the return without the dependent, and then file an amended return after receiving the ID number, or
  • Apply for an extension using Form 4868.

If the child is not eligible to receive an SSN, you need to apply for an ITIN. Click the link below for additional information about Form W-7. The child must have a valid SSN or ITIN by the due date of the return (including extensions) in order to receive certain credits.

Related Links