Charitable - Mileage

If you used your car while volunteering, you can report the mileage or actual expenses in your TaxAct return. The TaxAct program then transfers the information to Schedule A (Form 1040) Itemized Deductions, line 11.  The TaxAct® program computes the charitable mileage deduction for you, per the IRS Standard Mileage Rates webpage.

To report the cost for using your car while volunteering in the TaxAct program (if you need help accessing the Charitable contributions section of the TaxAct program, go to our Charitable - Entering Contributions and Donations in Program FAQ):

  1. From within the Charitable Contributions section, continue with the interview process until you reach the screen titled Did you use your car while volunteering?
  2. Click the data entry field below Number of charitable miles or Other transportation expenses and type the amount.

Per IRS Publication 526, page 6:

Car expenses. You can deduct as a charitable contribution any unreimbursed out-of-pocket expenses, such as the cost of gas and oil, directly related to the use of your car in giving services to a charitable organization. You can't deduct general repair and maintenance expenses, depreciation, registration fees, or the costs of tires or insurance.

If you don't want to deduct your actual expenses, you can use a standard mileage rate of 14 cents a mile to figure your contribution.

You can deduct parking fees and tolls whether you use your actual expenses or the standard mileage rate.

You must keep reliable written records of your car expenses. For more information, see Car expenses under Substantiation Requirements, later.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.