Search Help Topics:


Per IRS Instructions for Form 8949 Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets, on page 5:

Stock acquired on various dates. If you sold a block of stock (or similar property) that you acquired through several different purchases, you may report the sale on one row and enter “VARIOUS” in column (b). However, you still must report the short-term gain or (loss) on the sale on Part I and the long-term gain or (loss) on Part II.

TaxAct® supports "Various" as the date acquired on Form 1099-B Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions. Enter "Various" for the date acquired, then enter the cost basis, date sold, sales proceeds, and select either short-term or long-term.

To enter Form 1099-B for your capital gain or loss transactions in the program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. Click Investment Income in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, click Gain or loss on the sale of investments to expand, then click Capital gain or loss (Form 1099-B).
  3. Click + Add Form 1099-B to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to review a form already created.
  4. Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?