Capital Gains and Losses - Loss Carryover From Previous Year

To enter or review short- and long-term capital losses carried over from a prior year to transfer to Schedule D Capital Gains and Losses:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. Click Investment Income in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, click Gain or loss on the sale of investments to expand, then click Capital loss carryover from previous years.
  3. Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.

Note. If you import your prior year return in TaxAct, these amounts will be transferred automatically from your prior year TaxAct return.

If you are not importing your information from the prior year TaxAct return, in order to calculate the current year's carryover amounts, you would need to have completed the previous year's Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet—Lines 6 and 14 on page D-11 of the IRS Instructions for Schedule D.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.