Capital Gains and Losses - Loss Carryover From Previous Year

To enter or review short- and long-term capital losses carried over from a prior year that will transfer to Schedule D:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
  2. Click Investment Income in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category and then click Gain or loss on sale of investments
  3. Click on Capital loss carryover from previous years
  4. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information

Note. If you import your prior year return in TaxAct, these amounts will be transferred automatically from your prior year TaxAct return.

If you are not importing your information from the prior year TaxAct return, in order to calculate the current year's carryover amounts, you would need to have completed the previous year's Capital Loss Carryforward Worksheet on Page 11 of the IRS Instructions for Schedule D.