Importing using TaxAct® is a quick and easy process. Please keep the following things in mind when importing:
- 2015 TaxAct Basic, Plus, Premium, and Professional Preparer Editions users may import a prior year return that was created with any TaxAct 2014 Desktop program. These programs will import using any desktop return file with a ".ta4" file extension.
- Using TaxAct Desktop, Online, and Preparer's 1040 programs, you may also choose to import a PDF copy of your 1040 return created with another program. When choosing to import the PDF, you must have a PDF saved version of the actual return. It cannot be a return summary.
- IMPORTANT: When you import a prior year return, any data that has already been entered will be overwritten. For example, by importing from a 2014 return to a 2015 return, the result will be a brand new 2015 return with only the imported data. You must import FIRST and then enter data in to the new version.
Importing prior year's return using TaxAct Desktop
Example: Importing into 2015 TaxAct
- Start the current year's version of TaxAct
- Click File from the menu bar
- Click either Import TaxAct 2014 Return or Prior Year PDF Data from the drop down menu.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the import of your return.
- After completing the import of your return, the Import Summary will allow you to review the information transferred to your new return.