Search Help Topics:

Even if you have already filed your tax return, you may still have questions. You will want to know about your refund status, recordkeeping, any mistakes you may have made, and what to do if you move.

Refund Status

You can go online to check the status of your refund 24-48 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of your efiled return, or 3 to 4 weeks after you mail a paper return. Be sure to have a copy of your filing status, the primary SSN on the return, and the exact whole-dollar amount of the refund.

You can go to IRS website and click on Where's My Refund.

You can also call 1-800-820-4477 24 hours a day, seven days a week for automated refund information. Call 1-800-829-1954 during the hours shown in the tax form instructions.

Record Keeping

Tax records should be kept for three years minimum. There are some documents that you will need to keep longer - those relating to a home purchase or sale, stock transactions, IRAs, and business or rental property. You should keep these not only for your personal records, but also for filing future returns.

Change of Address

If you change your address after you have filed your return, you should send Form 8822 Change of Address to the IRS. If you are expecting a refund through the mail, you should also file a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service so they can forward your refund check to the correct address.

Mistakes and Amending Your Return

If you notice a mistake after your e-filed return has been accepted or after mailing a paper return, wait until you receive your refund before you do anything. The IRS will often catch simple omissions or minor mistakes. It is possible that they will correct the error for you and adjust your refund accordingly. If this is the case, you would not need to file an amended return.  To correct any mistakes (or add a W-2, 1099, etc) after receiving your refund, you will need to file IRS Form 1040X Amended US Individual Income Tax Return.

Was this helpful to you?