If you have received a Form W-2C (a corrected W-2 form), you can still electronically file your return. Enter the information from your Form W-2C as a Form W-2 in the program, if you have not yet entered the original Form W-2, or correct the original Form W-2 information entered. There is no requirement to send the W-2C form if you electronically file as the IRS will receive a copy from the employer. Make sure you enter the correct information from Form W-2C and then complete the tax return as normal.
To enter the Form W-2C information in the TaxAct® program:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Wages and Salaries in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category, then click Wage income reported on Form W-2
- Click New Copy of Form W-2 (Desktop users click Add) to create a new form or click Review to review and correct the information already entered for the original Form W-2
- Select Quick Entry or Step-by-Step Guidance
- If you select Quick Entry, enter the form as it appears on your paper copy
- If you select Step-by-Step Guidance, the program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information
Note. If you receive the W-2C after you have submitted your return to the IRS (and it has been accepted) then you will need to amend your return.