Search Help Topics:

If you select to receive a direct deposit, you will need to have access to your bank routing number and account number. See below for an example of where this information should appear on the checks issued from your bank. If you are not sure which numbers to enter, contact your bank to verify the correct information.

Incorrect Banking Information

If you submit your return with incorrect banking information, you can only correct the error if the return is rejected. If the return is accepted, the IRS will mail you a printed check once they discover that the account number is not in your name. See Fixing Incorrect Routing Number After E-file for more information.

To fix the banking information in a rejected return, click the Filing tab and repeat the filing steps. On the screen titled E-Filing - Federal Refund Options click Direct Deposit. Fix the error and complete the remaining steps. You must click Submit at the end for your return to be re-transmitted.

Was this helpful to you?