If you're having issues importing a prior year return PDF that was created in a different tax program, here are some troubleshooting options:
- Make sure you are using a an "image with text" PDF, not an "image" PDF.
- Make sure you are only importing a 1040. You cannot import a 1040NR or 1040SR.
- Make sure the PDF is under 500kb.
- When you create the PDF file, use the print option in the other tax program, and choose to print to PDF.
- Make sure your PDF is not password-protected.
- Shorten the filename to something like "2020TaxReturn.pdf" to make it a manageable name.
- The file may be corrupt, and you will need to create the PDF again.
- Make sure that you have a strong internet connection.
- Check security settings and make sure the TaxAct program has permission to run.