With your TaxAct Professional preparer's software, you may back up your client returns and your preparer information by following the steps below.
Backing Up Client Returns (Local Backup Option)
- Select the File menu, then Backup, then Client Return(s).
- Select Local and click Next.
- Select the return(s) you wish to back up by checking the box next to the return(s). You can also use the Select All button to select all returns.
- Click the Next button once you have selected the return(s) you wish to back up.
- Select Browse to change the destination drive and folder location for the backups, if necessary.
- Click Finish to complete the backup process.
Backing Up Preparer Information (Local Backup Option)
- Select the File Menu, then Backup, then Preparer’s Information, then Local.
- Select the drive and folder location, then click the Select Folder button at the bottom right to complete the process.
Please note: It's a good idea to back up your preparer information any time you make changes to it and to keep a backup in the Client Data folder of the default install location of the computer. It's also a good idea to keep another backup somewhere other than the same computer, on external media or another computer. For that we also offer another option below.
Backing Up Client Returns to TaxAct's Secure Servers (Online Backup Option)
The Online Backup feature is an Enterprise Edition feature. You may upgrade to the Enterprise edition of the program by contacting our professional support team at 319-731-2682. The Online Backup feature is not available when using the Enterprise online option ("cloud"), as your returns are saved directly to TaxAct secure servers.
- Select the File Menu, then Backup, then Client Return(s).
- Select the Online option and click Next.
- Sign in with your TaxAct username and password. If you have forgotten either, you may click forgot username or forgot password links.
- Select the returns you wish to back up by checking the box next to the returns. You can also use the Select All button to select all returns.
- If you wish to back up your preparer master information, check the box below your list of client returns labeled Backup Preparer Master Information.
- Click the Finish button to complete the process.