Search Help Topics:


If two taxpayers originally filed separate returns that were accepted by the IRS and want to complete amended returns to change their filing status to "Married Filing Joint" (MFJ), please note the following:

  • If you have a refund on either of the separate returns, you should generally wait until you receive the refund(s) before amending the returns.
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for questions you may have on amending the return.
  • This amended return needs to be mailed.

To complete the amendment:

  1. Locate a copy of each originally-filed return. If you didn’t print or save both returns when you filed, you will need to obtain a copy from the IRS or your state tax agency.
  2. Review your returns and determine what corrections you need to make.
  3. Choose one of the two returns to amend, and enter the data for the other spouse in that return in the TaxAct program.
  4. Print the combined return and carefully compare it to each of the separate returns to ensure ALL information has been combined on the amended return.
  5. Complete the amendment Q&A in the TaxAct® program.

Related Links

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?