Search Help Topics:


If you need to make changes to your prior year return after it has been filed, you may need to file an amended return. In order to avoid confusion, it is usually best to wait and amend a return after the IRS has accepted the original return and you have received your refund, if applicable. For more information, go to the IRS  Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Frequently Asked Questions webpage.

Use one of our prior year products

TaxAct online can only be used on amended returns for the current tax year and and the previous tax year.  Amended returns for tax years before the last previous tax year can only be completed with TaxAct's Desktop Editions. You can order prior year programs through the TaxAct website Access Prior Year Tax Returns via the Download Products tab. If you are using the Free Federal Edition, you will be prompted to upgrade your return when you go to access the amendment section of the Q&A. For detailed steps to creating a prior year return, go to our Create and File Prior Year Tax Returns FAQ.

Create or edit a return and amend it

For detailed steps to amend a Form 1040 return, go to our Form 1040-X - How to Create an Amended Return FAQ (our amended return products are not free, so you might be asked to upgrade your product before continuing during the interview process).

Follow the filing rules for prior year amended returns

All prior year Amended Returns will need to be mailed. If you need help mailing your return, go to our How to Mail a Paper Return (Paper File) FAQ. It is recommended that the return and any supporting documentation and schedules be sent via Certified Mail so that you have a record of when it is received by the IRS.

Make sure the IRS received and accepted the return

Normal processing time for Form 1040-X is up to 16 weeks from the IRS receipt date. Please see, Form 1040-X, Amended Return Frequently Asked Questions, for additional information. You can check the status of your paper or electronically-filed amended return Form 1040-X using the IRS Where's My Amended Return? online tool or the toll-free telephone number 866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return. Both tools are available in English and Spanish and track the status of amended returns for the current year and up to three prior years.

Related Links

Amending Your Prior Year State Return

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?