If your filing status is Married Filing Separately, you and your spouse must either both itemize deductions or both use the standard deduction.
To indicate that you and your spouse are both itemizing:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions to expand the category and then click Use Standard Deductions or Use Itemized Deductions
- Check the box at the bottom Check to use itemized deductions even though the standard deduction is larger
You will also need to indicate that your spouse itemizes on their return.
- Click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Basic Information to expand that category and then click Filing Status
- After selecting Married filing separately, click Continue
- Complete the information for your spouse
- Continue until you reach the screen titled Spouse Itemizes and check the box
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information