How to Get Your Tax Refund Faster

Share This

The last thing you want to do when you're expecting a refund is to wait any longer than necessary for it.

To get your income tax refund the fastest way possible, e-file your return and choose a direct deposit to your bank account.

What refund options does TaxAct offer?

You can have the IRS deposit your refund into up to three different bank accounts.

A split refund is a great idea if you want to put some of your money into savings. It's always easier to put money directly into savings than it is to find a surplus in your checking account and transfer it later. That's the IRS intent, at least, in letting taxpayers have their refunds deposited into different accounts.

You can also use split refunds if you file jointly with your spouse and you each have separate bank accounts.

Tip: Double-check your bank routing and account numbers. The IRS will confirm the account number is valid before they deposit your refund. If the number you enter is not valid, you may receive a paper check in the mail, instead of an electronic deposit. The paper check will take longer for you to receive than a direct deposit.

Worse yet, if the account number you enter is valid but belongs to someone else, that person could receive your tax refund.

Instead of having your refund deposited directly to your bank account, you can choose one of these options:

  • Free e-file with direct deposit to an exisiting account or to an American Express Serve Prepaid Debit Account for fast and easy access to your refund.
  • Use all or part of your refund to purchase U.S. Savings Bonds in increments of $50.
  • Have the IRS send you a paper check, which you generally receive three to four weeks after the IRS accepts your return.

Can I apply my refund to next year?

If you pay estimated taxes, or if you think you may owe income taxes when you file next year's return, consider having part or all of your income tax refund applied to next year's return.

Reminder: TaxAct offers the option to pay TaxAct product fees by having them deducted from your refund.

September 2019
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30

Upcoming Tax Dates

September 2 — Everyone
Federal Holiday (Labor Day) Details

September 10 — Employees who work for tips
If you received $20 or more in tips during August, report them to your employer Details

September 15 — Individuals
Make a payment of your 2019 estimated tax if you are not paying your income tax for the year through withholding (or will not pay in enough tax that way). Use Form 1040-ES. This is the third installment Details

September 15 — S Corporations
File a 2018 calendar year income tax return (Form 1120S) and pay any tax due. This due date applies only if you timely requested an automatic 5-month extension Details

September 15 — Partnerships
File a 2018 calendar year return (Form 1065). This due date applies only if you were given an additional 5-month extension Details

September 15 — Corporations
Deposit the third installment of estimated income tax for 2018 Details

September 15 — Social security, Medicare, and withheld income tax
If the monthly deposit rule applies, deposit the tax for payments in August.

View More Tax Dates