If you need to remove the spouse exemption on your return, and you do not see the related screen in the Q&A, the following steps will help:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Basic Information to expand the section and then click Name and Address
- Click Continue to reach the screen titled Spouse
- TEMPORARILY enter a dummy social security number such as 899-99-9999, and click Continue
- Again, click on the Federal tab (on smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal) and then on Basic Information
- Click Filing Status
- Select Head of Household or Married Filing Separately
- Continue until you reach the screen titled Spouse Exemption and uncheck the Spouse Exemption checkbox to remove the exemption from the return.
Note. If you come to a screen titled Change Filing Status, click No to bypass this screen.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 above to again reach the screen titled Spouse and delete the dummy social security number previously entered. Be sure to click Continue to save your changes when done.