Search Help Topics:

Please Note: Filing an extension ONLY extends the time to file your return and does not extend the time to pay any tax due. To avoid late payment penalties and interest you must estimate what tax will be due and pay that when you file the extension.

Form 7004 is used to request an automatic extension of time to file certain business income tax, information and other returns. Generally, Form 7004 must be filed on or before the regular due date of the applicable tax return and can be filed electronically for most returns.

To file Form 7004 using TaxAct®:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click the Filing tab, (On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Filing), then click File Extension directly below the Federal tab
  2. Click the federal and/or state option as applicable to your required filings
  3. The program will continue with the interview questions to help you complete the required information for an extension request.

Returns shown on Part I of Form 7004 (including Form 1065 and 1041) are eligible for an automatic 5-month extension of time to file from the due date of the return. Returns shown on Part II of Form 7004 (including Forms 1120 and 1120S) are eligible for an automatic 6-month extension of time to file from the due date of the return.

Certain states will allow an accepted federal Form 7004 as an extension of time to file your state return, while other states require a separate extension request. TaxAct will provide information about state filing requirements during the extension interview.

Related Links:

Was this helpful to you?