If you don't know the answer to the security question presented during the account recovery process, follow these steps:
- Attempt to answer it five times until you get the message that you are temporarily locked out.
- Wait 15 minutes, and when you try again, you will get a different security question (if you try again within 60 minutes).
- You can try to get into your account without answering security questions by choosing a different option; go to our Forgot Online Username or Password FAQ for more information.
- You need to type the security answer the exact same way you did when you created your account (example: if you wrote "City" in your original answer, "city" will not be accepted).
- Make sure you are using the correct username, and that you typed it correctly. Go to our Look Up Username or Reset Password FAQ if you are not sure.
- Due to strict security measures, our Contact TaxAct Service & Support team cannot tell you your password.