The returns created in TaxAct® software are updated in 'real-time,' once you have changed a value and continued to the next screen the changes have been saved. Using your Online account, you may also save your return in Portable Document Format (PDF) which can be saved for archiving or printing at a later date.
IMPORTANT: You must first have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed.
Saving Your Return in PDF Format
- Go to TaxAct.com.
- In the upper right corner of the page, click on the Sign In button.
- Enter your Username and Password
- If you have forgotten your Username or Password, simply use the links below the Username and Password fields to retrieve/reset your Password/Username.
- Once you are logged in, locate the return you wish to print and click on the Open button to the right of it.
- Once you have opened the return you wish to print, please click on My Return in the upper right hand corner. You can then move down and click on Print Center.
- Within the Print Center, choose the tab which best suits you.
Once you have chosen which option best suits your needs, simply click the blue Print button. Once you click the print button, a window will pop up and you will be given the instructions to "Click the link below to view/print your..." and will indicate which form you are about to print. Click on the link that says Your Federal or Your State Return.pdf This will open the document in a PDF format. You may right click on the document and click on 'Save as...' or 'Save target As...' (depending on your browser) to save it to the location you wish. If this option is not available, open the PDF and then you may chose to 'Save As' directly from the PDF viewer. The file name will be filled in with the default form name. You may change this filename if you wish. Your Return file will be saved with the extension of .pdf and can be viewed at a later time by opening it in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Return - This tab will allow you to print/save a specified number of Federal and State copies. You will have the option to include line item details.
- Instructions/Reports - This tab will allow you to print/save the filing instructions as well as Prior Year Comparison, National Averages, Tax Calculator, TaxWatch, etc . (E-File instructions will be available after your return has been transmitted to TaxAct)
- Mail Paper Return - This tab will allow you to print/save every form the IRS/state would require if mailing your return.