Search Help Topics:

TaxACT Online (Over the Web Users)

If you used TaxACT Online in a previous year and did not finish your return or if you need to start a new return for a prior year, you can still prepare your return using our TaxACT Online program.

Simply use the link we have provided below to either start a new return or sign in to an existing return. You will need to know the tax year and also the Username and Password that you set up for your account at the time you registered the account. If you do not remember the Username or Password, you can use the appropriate links on the sign in screen or view the related links below.

Access/Start Prior Year Return

If you are trying to gain access to your existing prior year TaxACT Online account after the October 15th IRS electronic filing deadline, there will be a nominal, one time Data Archive Service (DAS) fee required the first time you log back in to access your tax return. This fee is included in the cost to start a new TaxACT Online return after October 15th.

The one time DAS fee covers the cost of maintaining the servers on which your TaxACT Online account is securely stored. It allows you unlimited access for the purpose of amending or printing your tax return and your tax return for that particular year remains available to you through April 30 of the third year following the tax returns due date (example: 2010 return - due date was 4/15/2011; therefore once DAS is paid you will have access to the return through 4/30/2014).

When purchasing DAS this service allows you to:
  • Create a new return for that year
  • Finish an existing return
  • Review your return
  • Plan for next year
  • Print a backup copy of your return for your records
  • Access that years return through April 30 of the third year following the due date of the return
Please Note: If three years have passed since the original due date of a return, that years return is no longer accessible via TaxACT (example: 2007 returns are no longer available - DAS expired 4/30/2011).

TaxACT Desktop (Download/CD-ROM Users)

If you used our desktop software to create and file your income tax return(s) you will need to access the software on the computer in which you used to create the return. If you are no longer able to access the return on your computer, you will need to request a copy of your return from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

To request a copy of your return from the IRS:
  • Contact the IRS toll free at 1-800-829-1040
  • Complete Form 4506-T Transcript of Electronic Filing at no cost
  • Complete Form 4506 Copy of Income Tax Return
We recommend that you save your return on a removable media drive (thumb drive or CD-ROM) and also have an additional back up copy for your protection.

Related Links:

Was this helpful to you?