Search Help Topics:

Where is my AGI located on last year's return?

The AGI you should use to sign your current year return can be found on the following lines of your prior year return (round this amount to the nearest whole dollar):

  • Form 1040, Line 38
  • Form 1040A, Line 21
  • Form 1040EZ, Line 4

How do I get my original AGI if I cannot locate my last year's return?

To retrieve your original AGI from your previous year's tax return you may do one of the following:

  • Use the IRS Get Transcript Online tool to immediately view your Prior Year AGI.  You must pass the IRS Secure Access identity verification process.  Select the Tax Return Transcript option and use only the "Adjusted Gross Income" line entry.
  • Contact the IRS toll free at 1-800-829-1040
  • Complete Form 4506-T Transcript of Electronic Filing at no cost
  • Complete Form 4506 Copy of Income tax Return

What do I use for my original AGI if my filing status has changed from last year?

If your filing status changed from the previous year to "Married Filing Joint", then each taxpayer will use their individual original AGI from their respective prior year tax returns.

If the change is from "Married Filing Joint", then both taxpayers will use the same original AGI from the prior year's joint tax return.

What do I use for my original AGI if I did not file a return with the IRS last year?

If you have never filed before, or if you filed last year using an ITIN and you have a Social Security Number this year, choose I am a first-time filer or I did NOT file a 2015 tax return on the prior year information screen.

If you are married filing jointly and only one spouse filed last year, enter the prior year AGI for that spouse and zero (0) for the spouse who has never filed before.

Related Links:

Was this helpful to you?