Search Help Topics:

Where is my AGI located on last year's return?

The AGI you should use to sign your 2011 return can be found on the following lines of your 2010 return (round this amount to the nearest whole dollar):

  • Form 1040, Line 37
  • Form 1040A, Line 21
  • Form 1040EZ, Line 4

How do I get my original AGI if I cannot locate my last year's return?

To retrieve your original AGI from your previous year's tax return you may do one of the following:

  • Contact the IRS toll free at 1-800-829-1040
  • Complete Form 4506-T Transcript of Electronic Filing at no cost
  • Complete Form 4506 Copy of Income tax Return

What do I use for my original AGI if my filing status has changed from last year?

If your filing status changed from the previous year to "Married Filing Joint", then each taxpayer will use their individual original AGI from their respective prior year tax returns.

If the change is from "Married Filing Joint", then both taxpayers will use the same original AGI from the prior year's joint tax return.

What do I use for my original AGI if I did not file a return with the IRS last year?

If you have never filed before, or if you filed last year using an ITIN and have an SSN this year, enter zero (0) for your prior year AGI. Do not leave the fields blank. If you see a Red Alert in the filing steps titled Error or Omission: Incomplete Self Select Information, select Check the box if 2010 Adjusted Gross Income was zero to stop the alert from reappearing. You will need to do this for both spouses, if necessary.

Related Links:

Was this helpful to you?