IRS Form 9465 Installment Agreement Request is used to request a monthly installment plan if you cannot pay the full amount you owe shown on your federal tax return. It is highly recommended that you pay a portion of the amount you owe and request an installment for the remaining balance. Form 9465 is available in all versions of TaxACT and can be electronically filed with your return.
If you have already filed your return or you are filing this form in response to a notice from the IRS, Form 9465 may be paper filed by itself. Please consult the Form 9465 Instructions link below for the correct IRS Service Center mailing address for this form.
You can also apply for a payment agreement through the IRS website
The IRS charges a fee for installment agreements, as well as interest on the unpaid balance. You may also incur a late penalty. You can access the instructions for Form 9465 and important information about payment options and fees on these IRS websites:
To complete Form 9465 in TaxACT, please do the following:
- From within your TaxACT return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal Q&A tab
- Click Miscellaneous Topics to expand the section and then click IRS installment payment plan request
- Click Yes to enter or review the Form 9465 information
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information
NOTE: If you choose, during the entry of your information for Form 9465, to set up monthly Electronic Funds Withdrawals for your installment request you will be prompted to enter your banking information. Then, when you proceed through the electronic filing steps you would want to select Mail a Check on the screen titled E-Filing - Federal Balance Due Options. You do this because in the event the IRS does not approve the installment request, the Form 1040-V voucher that will print with the return is what you would use to submit payment. You would NOT want to enter your banking information under the Direct Withdrawal selection because that would result in the entire amount being withdrawn all at once. The banking information for Form 9465 you would have already entered in the Q&A section for Form 9465. In a later screen during the filing steps you will be prompted to view and/or print the Federal E-File Instructions. Those instructions will explain that filing Form 9465 does NOT guarantee your request for a payment plan and that the IRS will contact you to notify you of the status of your request for an installment plan. You WOULD NOT mail Form 1040V, but keep it with your records and wait for the IRS to contact you about the installment agreement. It would only be needed if they reject your installment request.
To print Form 9465 from within your TaxACT return:
TaxACT Online Users:
- Sign in to your TaxACT Online return
- Click the My Return button in the top right corner
- Click Print Center, and then click Custom Print
- Check the box next to Federal Form 9465 - [your name]
- Click the Print button and then click the PDF link. The item will appear in a PDF read-only format. At that time you can click the printer icon on the screen to actually print, or close the window without printing.
NOTE: If, after you click Custom Print in Step 3 above, you see the message "No forms (or documents) available to print," you will need to click View/Pay your return fees which will bring you through the Paper Filing steps. Continue through those screens until you have processed the payment for your product fees.
TaxACT Desktop Users:
- Start your TaxACT Desktop program
- Click the Forms button in the top left corner
- Expand the Federal Forms folder and then expand the Forms and Schedules folder
- Scroll down and double click Form 9465 - Installment Agreement Request
- Click on the Printer icon in the toolbar
In the print dialog box that appears you are able to choose if you wish to send the output to a printer or a PDF document. If you wish to only print preview the document, check the Print Preview box. Once the print preview window opens, click the Print button to actually print the document.