If you're experiencing issues importing a PDF copy of your return created with other software (TurboTax, H&R Block) there are a few things you might try:
- The PDF should be "image with text."
- Check the file size: anything over 500kb could be an "image only" and is not as likely to be read by the TaxAct import process.
- Creating the PDF file is best done using the "Print" function in the PDF-creation software. Choose the PDF writer as your printer.
- Be sure your PDF is not password protected. This could have been set up when the file was created and you'll need to check the PDF writing software. Adobe Acrobat or other PDF writing software can add (and then remove) a password from a document.
- Shorten the filename to something like "2018TaxReturn.pdf" to make it a more manageable name.
- The file may be corrupt. You may need to go back to the PDF-creation software to "print" another PDF file.
- To provide the most effective, up-to-date import capabilities, TaxAct must be able to establish a secure connection to the Internet. You may need to check on your firewall, Windows, Internet options or security software settings. With security software, you may need to grant permission to the TaxAct program.